Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Here I go!

Off and on during my life I have written things down- a diary in elementary school, a journal in high school, on an old computer when my kids were little. What saddens me is the old computer and all those files are gone. :(

My sister-in-law has a blog and it has inspired me to write things about my ordinary life. Amazingly, ordinary things become extraordinary as time passes. So that is my goal. Hopefully I'll get by here every day or so and write something down!

Today I got all dressed up for work because we were supposed to have a department head meeting at city hall. Well, it was cancelled and here I sit in an outfit that I typically do not wear to work. When I first got this job in 1994 I dressed up every day. As time passed I noticed that our patrons are dressed casually, so I decided to do the same thing. Why should a librarian dress up like an executive? Not my thing, so now I wear khakis, sketchers, and casual tops.

On the personal front, my wonderful husband had grilled burgers when I got home last night. He had the potatoes cooked and ready for me to make potato salad. I told him, "Cooperation makes it happen- tm Sesame Street!" We spent the rest of the evening doing our own thing. He chatted with a friend on the phone, watched a movie and played his bass. I talked on the phone, surfed the internet, cleaned the kitchen and watched a little television. Our life is very comfortable. We are happy just being together, not necessarily doing the same thing. He's very generous in letting me go and do things that make me happy. I, in turn, wave him goodbye with a smile when he goes to play his music. After 30 years together, I can truthfully say we love each other more and more as time passes. He says he'd rather spend time with me than with anyone and I feel the same about him.

Yesterday I did it. I joined an organization that will tell the world that I'm old!! I did it to get hotel discounts. What a lame excuse, but hey, every little bit helps and 10% is 10%!! Admittedly I get depressed thinking about my age. I feel in my heart like I'm 18 and I know I always will. That's what makes me sad when I see people in nursing homes or people who are physically ill or limited in what they can do. I know that inside their hearts and minds they are still young and I feel so bad for them.

My kids are all adults now. My oldest son, who has lived in Maine for the past two years, is moving home!! Whoo Hoo! He will be here April 21. Hopefully he can find a teaching position. He is certified P-12 so surely he can find something somewhere close by.

My daughter is my oldest child. She's a medical transcriptionist and lives with her boyfriend. Not exactly thrilling to me (the living with her boyfriend thing), but she's grown and I can't make her decisions for her. At least she is independent and has a good job! She was married six years and is now happily divorced. She's the world's biggest Bob Dylan fan, is smart, funny and very talented.

And last but not least is my youngest. He's 23 and such a special person! I've never met anyone who is as kind-hearted as he is. He works at our local grocery store and is the world's biggest Nascar fan. He is his daddy's best buddy and he helps me out a lot around the house. And he's so funny- maybe I can remember some things he has said and I'll write them down!

That's it for right now. Hopefully I'll get in the groove of this and get more organized!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Lisa this is Carrie from bicesquad.com (ga_bofan1) I love your blog. I have one too! http://thepetersonsupdate.blogspot.com/ check it out. I hope to see you soon at another Bo show I can't make the one in May and am so bummed but I know there will be others. Keep up the blogging it is really good and a stress reliever for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HEY!! I am a crazy blogger, too! I will add you to my blog roll. You will LOVE It. I have done tech reviews, book reviews, restaurant reviews and deep discussions. AND of course millions of pictures. check mine out too. We can be blog buddies, now too my old friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey girl! I think you will love this blogging idea. I have really enjoyed it. And it is neat to find out that people you know have a blog. There are times when you will get blogger's block, but then there are times when you could write a book! It's all good, though. Welcome aboard!

    ReplyDelete
  4. And I just went back to re-read your blog. I still think your children should be babies. You, know, like when your Jimmy married meand my hubby of 2o years. ( So I am old- what does that make YOU...just kidding!!!) I know life changes- but your kids and you and JIMMY- your family- are still very special to me. Jimmy was one of the most talented teachers from the pulpit I have ever heard and I still have my annotated Bible from UG. Make sure you tell him he was and is special to me too. And now we are both librarians, and bloggers. Wow. God is great and the world is crazy!!! My kids are 5 and 9- can you believe it. I am so glad you chose to blog and look forward to keeping up and reminiscing with you.

    ReplyDelete