Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Christmas and my Career, what a combo!

It's been a while since I've blogged here, there just hasn't been time. After Thanksgiving I had three weekends in a row where I was out of town having fun and then I had to play catch-up this past weekend in order to get ready for Christmas.

Did I say I was ready for Christmas?! I might as well be! Our family decided to go really simple this year and so it wasn't really difficult to get the gifts purchased and wrapped. I still have a few little things to do, but it's manageable.

I'm up at the crack of dawn this morning for some reason. I'll be sorry in a few hours I'm sure. Only today and tomorrow at work, then I'm off for FOUR days! I live for this. No kidding. I see people bopping in and out of the library all day, busily going here and there and everywhere, talking about how they just don't have enough time to get everything done. Ahem. There I am, stuck in a building from 8-5 and there they are, free as the breeze. It makes me tired. And then on top of it, last night my son tells me that I chose the wrong profession, that I should have gotten into a school library where I would be off half of the year. Thanks, son, that made me feel better...!

Back when I finished grad school, I nearly killed myself to find a job in a school library. It didn't make sense how the doors all slammed in my face at every turn. I had made all A's in grad school; I was the one people came to when they had a question. And there I was, being passed over again and again. I was especially disappointed that I didn't get the position at a school that you can almost literally see from my house.

After disappointment after disappointment, Jimmy heard that there was an opening at our city library. He insisted that I go on the interview. Ok. Why not? So I had an interview with the mayor and city council at 6:30, I went on by the grocery store, got home and they called at 9 offering me the job. Uh. I was shocked! Of course I took it, but when I had my meeting to discuss the particulars, my heart hit the floor when they told me the salary. But it was a job and I had no other prospects.

I remember somebody who had my same degree telling me that they had decided against applying for the job because they were NOT going to work for that much money. That really helped my ego, but I worked hard and now, 15 years later, my salary has doubled and I make comparable pay and have the same retirement as those in my position in a public school. In retrospect, the job I have is the perfect one for me. I don't have to deal with kids all day. Instead I do paperwork and let the other staff deal with the public. Things go pretty smoothly although occasionally there are bumps that I have to smooth over. My boss doesn't micro-manage me and it's a relatively stress-free work environment. I made the right decision all those years ago. It's just when people make comments like my son did last night that I get a pang...I would love to be off right now for Christmas break. But it wasn't meant to be.

My goodness, how did I get off on that subject? Just thinking through my fingertips I suppose!

I'm going to get off of here and make use of this extra time I have this morning. Hope those who are reading this have a very blessed Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment