Friday, May 29, 2009

Wouldn't you know it??



Yesterday I got up and faced the day knowing I could only have clear liquids. I went to Foodland and bought all different kinds of juices, popsicles and jello. I worked half a day, came home and popped the two magical pills that supposedly would get me started on my way to colonoscopyville. Four hours later I had to start drinking this salty stuff that I flavored orange. I could have chosen cherry, pineapple or lemon-lime, but I chose orange on Jimmy's recommendation.

At six p.m. I drank a glass of the stuff. Yuck! I sat on the couch all snuggled up to Jimmy and about 7 or 8 minutes later I vaguely started itching. It didn't register on me at first. Then I looked down at my chest! Blotches were all over my chest, arms and legs! Bumps started forming and my mouth got as dry as cotton. I promptly called the pharmacist. He said he had never had anyone have any problems with the liquid, but he would check. I held on for a few minutes and he came back on the line and told me that yes, reactions like mine occur in less than 1% of people who drink it. He told me not to drink any more. No kidding. I guzzled some Benadryl and clawed my way through the evening, feeling nauseous and light-headed.

On the up side, I did get a Coke icee and some fries from Burger King. (I know, I despise Burger King, but I will eat their fries and drink their frozen Cokes!)

This morning I still feel like a truck hit me. The blotches finally faded out an hour or so ago and I no longer itch. I took pictures of the rash just in case nobody believed me! It sounds ridiculous, doesn't it?

Thankfully I received a call from the hospital last night. They wanted to pre-register me and I had the opportunity to tell them that I would not be there this morning. Nor any other morning. Dr. D can just forget about it! It was just a screening test and I'm not going to worry about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment