Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Wednesday evening in the 'ville

I'm at home alone with Jimmy and it's quiet, very quiet. All I can hear are the sounds of the dryer and the bell ringing in the parrot's cage. This is heaven to me. No TV, no music, no talking, just quiet.

Times like these are rare. Growing up I was used to the quiet. I was an only child living with my mother and various pets. I enjoyed my solitude and I was very rarely lonely.

After I married and had three children, it seemed that life was always at full throttle. From Sesame Street to Backstreet Boys to Ninja Turtles to Nascar, there was always something going on. Kids were in and out of the house constantly, slamming doors, playing guitars, giggling, and fussing. There were times when I wanted to scream or just run away!

Nowdays I still have two grown boys at home. It's still not quiet here. There is always an episode of Scrubs playing on the DVD player or music going or phones ringing or computers clacking. Seth does wear earphones all the time to listen to his music. I'm concerned that he's going to be deaf, but he just pooh-poohs me and keeps on wearing them and listening LOUD!

Nobody is home except Jimmy and me tonight and he's in the other room looking up blues songs on the internet. My eyes are closed as I type this and I can feel my breathing, all steady and slow. What bliss this is!

Sad news today though. The wife of a doctor who used to live here died this morning from injuries she sustained from a lightning strike Monday. How weird is that? She was taking out the trash. I remember them well. They visited our home on numerous occasions. She taught me how to make homemade sloppy joes and I fed them chili. At their home was no television-they were Mennonites- but the Mr. always rented one to watch certain football games! Their kids were little aliens, they had to be! I've never seen a 4 year old keep everything in his room spotless and every toy piece and game together organized on a shelf! Man, did my kids wreak havoc over there!

I can't remember the last time I saw her. It's funny how you say you're going to keep in touch when someone moves, then time ticks by and you never do. I'm sorry I didn't keep our friendship going throughout the years. Rest in peace, Dawn; may God comfort Jon and the kids as they cope with your passing.

No comments:

Post a Comment