This morning was cold but we braved it and headed out to the early service in Madison. We left the house a little before 8, made our regular stop at Starbucks, and pulled into the parking lot and made it in just at the right time. I was expecting a smaller crowd that early, but I was fooled; once again the place was packed!
Why did we go so early today? You see, I had a family get-together to attend at one, and that’s the only choice we had.
My mother had two brothers, one of whom has passed away. His daughter, my first cousin, was hosting the lunch today at her house.
Pat lives in a beautiful home on who knows how many acres. Her husband raises cattle for a living and they have a beautiful farm. After picking Mother up, we got to Pat’s house and saw several cars already there.
Stepping into her lovely den, I noticed that she had candles burning everywhere! And there was this….smell. Everyone was talking about the skunks that were living under their house and how they can NOT get them out! Apparently one had sprayed and they had done everything in their power to get the smell dissipated, even wrapping the floor vents in Saran wrap!
The day before Tommy, her husband, had set a trap and had successfully caught one of the skunks. He had it in the trap in the back of his truck way out near one of his barns. Of course I had to go look! Jimmy and I took off in the freezing weather and cautiously approached the pickup. There was a piece of old carpeting covering the cage and I slowly raised it up. All I could see was black and white fur. It was very still and we were VERY quiet!!
I learned a fascinating fact about skunks today. Tommy said that a trapper who lives close by told him that the fur has the same feel as mink. He used to sell the fur of the skunks he trapped for $13 and companies made “mink” coats from them. Apparently some regulation has stopped this practice and now the man only gets $1 per pelt.
That makes me laugh to think that some snooty person is parading around in a “mink” coat and it’s really a skunk! LOL
We had a nice lunch (after a while we became immune to the smell!) and visit with my cousins. I’ve been home for about an hour and let me tell you, all of our clothing, down to our underwear, smells like a skunk! Jimmy’s car smells like a skunk! We’re washing everything and hopefully the smell will come out!
That’s been my day so far. I’m going to relax a while and gear up for another week. Just thought I’d share my skunk story. :)
Sunday, January 10, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment