Thursday, January 7, 2010

Rest in Peace, Tiger Jesus. I love you.


Today my heart hurts. My precious Tiger Jesus, the cat who showed up on our lawn as a tiny little kitty 10 ½ years ago, is gone. She has been sick for a while with a skin condition that terrorized her and she clawed her hair out and made herself bleed. This morning things at home came to a head and we made the difficult decision to put her down.

Tiger was a strange little thing. She couldn’t meow; my youngest son said she quacked! She showed up outside and was there a couple of days and I told Jimmy that if she was there the next day, I was bringing her inside. Well, she was, so we headed inside the house with her. I’ll never forget looking around at Seth and asking him what he wanted to name her. He said, “Tiger”. I said, “Tiger what?” because all of our animals have middle names. He said, “Jesus, because Jesus sent her to us!”

Tiger was skittish and would not let us touch her, much less hold her. We patiently loved her and after about 3 years she finally allowed me to hold her. A little later on she allowed Seth to, and ever since then we’ve been the only people she trusted.

She was so funny about things. She slept with me and would stretch herself out against my back. If she got thirsty or hungry we’d know about it because she would tell the news!

Jimmy didn’t share our love of Tiger. He called her “that damn cat” but he’s been sweet to me today.

Layke and Seth took her to the vet; I couldn’t do it. They put her down and were going to cremate her. They asked if we wanted her ashes, but we declined. I’d rather have my memories than a box full of ashes. That’s just too painful.

Thanks for bearing with me while I memorialize my cat. I cried a river this morning at home and I’ve fought tears all day at work. I’ll miss my baby girl.

2 comments: