Wednesday, September 23, 2009

That's Southern, Ya'll.

I survived the weekend by staying in the bed. I also stayed in the bed Monday and I would have yesterday and today but I'm OUT of sick leave. Being sick sucks. Being sick at work sucks even more.

The main thing is that I've got to get better by Friday. I have a weekend planned in Birmingham with my friends from all over the U.S. and I want to feel good so I can enjoy it thoroughly! I know we'll be running around and staying up to the wee hours. I'm so far behind in getting ready. Do I know what I'm wearing? Nahhh. Shoes chosen? Nahhh. Hair colored? Nahh. Suitcase even halfway packed? Nahh. I may end up going looking like a haint.

Know what a "haint" is? It is a common expression here in the south for a ghost or something scary. I suppose the word comes from "haunt". Being from the south with all of our colloquialisms is so much fun. I can't think of anywhere else in this country where there are so many sayings!

Full as a tick.

Mad as an old wet hen.

Mean as a dirt road lizard.
Shut my mouth!

Richer than Cooter Brown.

Tighter than Dick's hatband.

I'm fixin' to.

I reckon so.

It's over yonder.

He's all laid up.

And one I heard a kid from Texas say last night on Hell's Kitchen..."Whistlebritches"! I laughed out loud when he called John-Phillipe that! It's been a while, but I've heard that expression all of my life.

Those are just a few that came to mind. There are literally dozens more but my mind is blank right now. That's just a taste of what southern talk is, ya'll.

I'm so proud to be American by birth, Southern by the grace of God!!

1 comment:

  1. Southern by the grace of God TOO! I love being a southern belle!

    ReplyDelete